Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Ya Like It?

Photo by Katie Bogdanski

Since my last blog entry about The Secret, things have been absolutely AMAZING in my life. It has been a little over a month since writing that, and things are just AWESOME. I feel very, very blessed and fortunate. I always believed that I would be a success in the entertainment industry, although I never knew how. I've been an actress, writer, director, producer, casting director, stage manager and more... Never did I ever think that I would be able to wear all of these hats and be successful. I'm 

Make no mistake - I know that I'm successful because of the people that support me, those that give me opportunities, and, of course, thanks to God. I may seem like a one-woman-show, but I'm certainly not. My staff alone (Shannon, Joe, Kristin, Alena, Heeral and Kevin) are why Cain Talent has done so well. I thank them as often as I possibly can, and I know that they know that I truly, truly appreciate them.

The first super-exciting thing that happened was that my short film, Unspoken, was accepted into the 2015 Olive Tree International Story-Teller Film Festival, which will be held on August 29 in NYC. We are up for Best Film, which carried a $500 prize! Second place is $250 and third place is $100. I really hope that we place in the top three. A lot of people are heading into NYC to attend the festival. Two of the teens on my talent roster, Mikal and Makayla, will be speaking to the audience and actually opening the festival. Unspoken is the very first film that will be screened at the festival. I can't wait!

A couple of weeks after that, I received an email stating that Unspoken will be screened in the 3rd Annual Enumclaw Film & Arts Festival on August 22. This isn't a competition, and I really, really, really wish that I could attend, but it just isn't feasible. Heck, I wish I had someone in Washington State that could attend for me, but no such luck. It is going to be screened at the Chalet Theatre. It would be so stinkin' cool to see Unspoken on the west coast! I mean, it's going to be amazing in NYC, but the entire cast and crew is from here. The fact that it was chosen to appear across the country just amazes me.

Then I was asked to be interviewed for Adam Symkowicz's blog for being a published playwright with Samuel French. That interview will be posted this Saturday. Needless to say, I feel like I am on top of the world right now-- So much so that I decided to produce my first feature film, a romantic comedy entitled What Happened Last Night.

I wrote What Happened Last Night when I was in college as a stage production. I wrote, directed and starred in the play. It was the highest grossing show ever in the history of the theatre where we did the show-- Which was pretty freaking amazing for a college sophomore!! I adapted it into a screenplay in 1999 and did an EXTREMELY amateur version of it. I have no clue where it went, but I do know that I have the only copy-- somewhere.

I have since re-written the film, and am currently working on the third draft. We are going to film this movie in the late Fall on Long Island, and I truly couldn't be more excited. It has been a really long time since there has been a good college romantic comedy. What Happened Last Night fills that void.

YOU, my dear reader, can be a part of What Happened Last Night by participating in the IndieGogo Campaign that we've got going on. At the time of this blog entry, we have raised $226 and still have 48 days left. You can select the perk you would like, or even just contribute $1 right here:




That's pretty much for people that are interested in just supporting the movie and that want to find a way to be involved to participate. We were also awarded a grant from AIM Hatch Fund to film this movie. However, in order to collect our grant, we have to get contributors to this 501c3 charity. It's really terrific, because we are able to support other artists while setting up our grant. Furthermore, EVERY donation to our Hatch Fund page is tax-deductible! As a matter of fact, you will get a receipt for your files IMMEDIATELY! Considering that we are entering the fourth fiscal quarter, this is a really great opportunity for those that need a tax write-off.


I can't wait for the film festival on the 29th. I can't wait to start shooting What Happened Last Night. I am so, so, so blessed to be in the position I am in. Thank you for being so supportive, even if it is just reading my blog.


2 comments:

  1. Candice,
    You are a force field! Everything is so exciting but in the short time I've known you, I always knew you could accomplish whatever you set your mind on. Wishing you "luck" just seems silly because you make things happen with your determination! I do miss seeing you though - my thoughts are with you frequently. I am so proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you, Stella! We need to go to lunch or something.

      Delete