Monday, June 20, 2016

It's a Man's World

Clayton Snyder as "Danny" in What Happened Last Night
People think I'm nuts for doing another project so soon... Before "What Happened Last Night" is even released. The majority of these people (if not all) aren't involved in the entertainment business. Their thought is, "Why don't you wait to see how your first film does?"

Folks, my first film already has a theatrical distribution deal in the USA and Canada. You can't get much better than that, especially since the first shot went off at the end of November last year. Having an entire film done - shot and edited - in less than a year (5 months, actually) is unheard of. It's desirable, for sure, but unheard of. Yet I, as a brand new filmmaker, was able to accomplish the feat that so many in the entertainment industry want to do. This was because of a fabulous cast, crew and production house (shout out to Gorilla Pictures). Frankly, I want to do it again.

Me (rt) with Mechelle Martz-Mayfield & Amber Rose
The issue with the entertainment industry is timing. The question isn't, "What have you done?" Instead, it is, "What have you done lately?" As a woman writer/director - and there is only 1% of women writer/directors - I need  to stay relevant in order to stay successful. The Coen brothers, the Farrelly brothers, Scorsese, Coppola, Spielberg, any other male director you can think of all have the luxury of taking as much time off between projects as they want and not have to worry about their next project. Heck, Joe Wright directed "Pan," which lost over $100 MILLION in the box office, has another studio picture in the works to be released in 2017.

My 7yo daughter "directing" a scene in WHLN
It isn't easy being a woman in this industry. It isn't fair. But, I don't do things because they're easy or fair. I do things because I want to. I don't need to prove myself to anyone. I'm a good director and a great writer. A lot of people want to work with me. If I have the ability to keep making movies, then why shouldn't I? I want to be an excellent example to my kids - especially my daughter - to show them that they can do anything that they put their mind to. I let my daughter "direct" a scene in "What Happened Last Night" because she asked me if she could. I told her what to do, and she repeated after me. I could tell how proud she was of herself, and how proud she was (and still is) of her mom. She keeps asking me if she can direct a scene in my next movie. I promised her that she can.

David Otunga let it be known that he is in "Live to Tell"
My next film is a drama entitled "Live to Tell." It is about bullying and school violence. Many of the people in "What Happened Last Night" have already committed to being in this film. As a matter of fact, David Otunga - a man that I absolutely adore and am proud to call my friend - has already publicized that he is going to be a part of this film. (David stars as Lt. Michael 'Lou' Ortega.) Other people in it from "What Happened Last Night" include Cody Calafiore, Alix Kermes, Natasha Coppola-Shalom, T'Keyah Crystal Keymah, Austin Davis, Shelley Regner, Matthew Joel Kranyak, Andrew Rogers and Brian Tyler Cohen. There are a LOT of other "big names" out there that want to be a part of the film, which is extremely exciting.

There are two different networks interested in the script, but I don't want to relinquish rights to it until the film is done because I don't want some network's political views or hidden agenda to make its way into my script. This story is about a school shooting, told from the inside of the school and the perspective of the hostages. It's about people, not politics. You won't see anything about gun control in my film. If you look and listen closely, you will see a commentary about the complacency of the media when it comes to these shootings. (Don't get me on my soapbox now...) This film will also make the festival circuit. The sooner it is completed, the faster it will be entered into festivals.

That being said, my dear reader, YOU can be a part of "Live to Tell." I have a GoFundMe Campaign going on in order to help bring in money for the budget. (Yes, we have investors, too, but this gives us the cushion that independent films need.) Check out the campaign and see how you can participate. Believe me when I say that every little bit helps...





No comments:

Post a Comment