Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Let Me Do A Few Tricks


People drive me crazy. 


No, let me rephrase that...

Stupid people drive me crazy. I'm talking about people that don't use common sense. People that you have to repeat things to OVER AND OVER to get them to understand. People that don't listen. People that tell you one thing, then do another. Most of all, people that waste my time drive me absolutely BONKERS.

Unfortunately, a lot of those people are the types that you encounter in the entertainment industry. Since I was pretty much born into the entertainment world, I get it. I have a skin as thick as leather. I know that you have to hear "no" 99 times before you get to that "yes."

However, sometimes I get spoiled. Sometimes, jobs start rolling in one after the other, and I just expect that I'm going to be cast in everything that I submit for. Yes, I become a stupid person.

And then something happens to slap me back into reality. 

Attitude?? Moi????
Let's take for instance a new reality show that seemingly fell into my lap. When I'm not an actress, I'm an event and travel planner. A reality show, Wedding Lane with Candy Cain, was in development about me, my family and my business. It never came to fruition, which is what happens with so many projects out there, and I moved on. This week, another reality show came knocking on my door-- Looking for an "event guru with an attitude."

Ahem.

Needless to say, I submitted for it. I got an email back right away, telling me how fabulous I am, and how I fit in with their team, yada yada yada. You know, a bunch of ego-stroking. They asked me for pics, and I sent them. I was told I was amazing-- More ego-stroking. They asked for me to take a video RIGHT NOW, so I did. They thanked me, told me I'm wonderful, etc. In short, they made me feel like I was going to be a part of this production.

CANDYWOOD RULE #1: Never trust anyone until you sign a contract.

While eating dinner with my family last night, I got a one line email:

We decided to go in a different direction.

Hair & Makeup for the show that never came to be
Yep. Shunned. Used and abused. Led on and turned away. Strung along, then the string was cut. You get the idea.

I'm more annoyed at myself for getting so comfortable, than at the production company for making me believe that I had it. That happens all the time. I also run a small casting and talent management company, and that happens to the people that I manage all the time. This time, it was just me that it happened to. I've been carrying that feeling of rejection since yesterday, and it doesn't feel good. I'm in need of a Stuart Smalley moment.


No comments:

Post a Comment